A spring filled
"The Romans are responsible for the
discovery of the spring of Água das Pedras."
The discovery of the location of Pedras Salgadas dates back to the Roman Empire. The ruins of Roman and pre-Roman homes and the tradition of miracle cures made in the eleventh century suggest that these waters may have been used in ancient times. However, it is in the Middles ages that there is evidence of the use of this water for the first time by the local population, who, during their work in the fields, drank directly from the natural springs.
"In the middle ages, the locals began to consume the water from the fountains, which until then was used in thermal cures."
However, it is in the Middles ages that there is evidence of the use of this water for the first time by the local population, who, during their work in the fields, drank directly from the natural springs.
"In 1871 doctor Júlio Rodrigues recognises the qualities of the water from Pedras Salgadas. Two years later, it won the first world prize."
In 1871, the renowned doctor from Trás-os-Montes, Júlio Rodrigues, proclaims the outstanding qualities of the thermal waters of Pedras Salgadas and two years later, in 1873, it is praised all over the world. A sample of water is displayed at the international exhibition in Vienna of Austria and is awarded a prize.
The Companhia das Água das Pedras Salgadas is founded in 1874.
When the creation of infrastructure for its bottling and distribution began in 1893, Água das Pedras was already widely recognised and had already received awards at several international exhibitions.